Friday, March 16, 2007

I have no empathy?

A strange but necessary conversation with one of my staffs revealed that for someone to be a good trader he must have among skills: high drive, strong resilience and no empathy. Apparently this is what he was told during a personality test and "job-fit" questionaire that qualified leaders had to take. I passed mine already and went through to a couple more and now I do recall some mention about empathy. I should pay more attention to these people.

So it's quite disturbing to think that I may not have much empathy for people. And you know what... given how anti-social I can be sometimes, it may be true. This empathy is described as being able to perform the trading duties, without any need for emotional support or having a need to give emotional support to the counterpart or customer. In simple terms to be able to sell something to someone and make decent money without feeling guilty or regret.

In social terms I don't know how to describe it, but I guess it's how well you connect to other people and "empathise" with them.

In his case, it was revealed that he had too much empathy for people and have the need to just help everyone. That's the reason apparently for his stress levels. Always trying to please too many people. Well as for me, I'm just happy pleasing myself. Does it sound like me? Yeah it kinda does. I hardly get stressed out if a delivery is screwed (because of forces I cannot control) or if I make an obscene amount of profit. Apparently some people do.

So while it seems like I'm suited for the job, I'm left wondering if it's the job that made me, or am I made for the job all along?

No comments: