Friday, March 30, 2007

Injuries...

Wife had a memorable birthday last week. After our friends came by to surprise her just after 11pm, I spent the remainder of the night at my usual place, in front of the PC. At around 230am when I was about to close up, I ran up the stairs at my usual pace, but this time tripped and fell upwards on the landing. In the process dislocating my arm at my right shoulder.

It was painful. At first I thought I bruised it or sprained it, but the pain was intense, especially if I tried to move it around. When I felt it, it really felt different, my upper arm was deeper within and I could feel the shoulder bone when normally it would be flesh.

We went to the clinic and the bemused doctor (wondering how the hell someone could do this at such late an hour) took his sweet time to write in a recommendation to the hospital. Still in pain, Pauline dragged me up towards the emergency entrance and I got checked in.

I had to do a couple of x-rays to make sure what it was. The surgeon showed up, racing from home - I have to be very thankful for that. It was 330am by this time. He said if he was in my position and the doctor didn't come he'd be swearing away at the fler. By now I had 2 doses of painkillers which were really not making much of a difference. They gave me 2 more, plus valium and an instant later the arm was back in place. I hardly noticed it, too high already by then.

In any case, they've got me in a sling and I've got limited arm movement for a couple of weeks. Can't move it even if I wanted to. Spent the night in the hospital, the first time ever in my life. But checked out by lunch the next day.

Monday I've got another checkup, this time he's going to give some exercises. I'll be in physio for a while.

No comments: