Monday, February 26, 2007

Cuti Cuti Singapura

Wow, 17 days since my last post. Actually to me it was less, had a post that never made it. Drafted, thought wanted to edit a bit - changed my mind. Was in Singapore over the weekend and I though I have many things to write, time and rather risk of not finishing (like last post which never made it - like it makes a difference to you) means I will put it down in point form.

1. Sales are really good in Singapore. When they discount its a real discount and its actually stuff you want to buy, not the offsized, lemon green crumpled up mess of a shirt in the cheap bin. But nice stuff. Of course I could have just gotten lucky, but if anyone's been shopping in sales in KL may agree with me.

2. A little planning goes a long way. Everything is so organised. I've been down too many times to count. But its usually the day business trips, in and out in 8 hours kinda thing. So.. I have never really been "around" in Singapore. As in the tourist fashion. So its kinda fun. Of course you can probably cover the main attractions in 5 days (or less) the point is its amazingly well thought out. Locations, malls, public transport and even the converted old buildings are nice.

3. Cost of living is lower. Strangely yes. I thought it was stupid at first, but things are actually cheaper there if you were a SGD earner - dollar per dollar / don't convert. The only thing expensive is the housing and cars, that kicks the cost of living up a lot. Food and everything else is similar or lower. But some luxury imports are more expensive.

4. Lots of options for vegetarians. Didn't really notice this at first, but met a veggie friend there who said it was so. Then I begin to notice that there's at least 1 veggie only stall in every single foodcourt, this is not counting restaurants. Theory: we probably notice it more because a) its an island b) things are closer together.

Next trip will be in March, we're planning to watch Phantom of the Opera showing at the esplanade. Probably will be one of the last trips we take together as a vacation for the next year or so. I never did like the idea of travelling with infants.

Felt: Cautiously giddy
Seen: The Oscars
Read: Tom Holt

No comments: