Wednesday, March 01, 2006

What is it with these quacks?

I went to the doc's today - again. Must be 3rd time these last couple of weeks. Firstly, he still says I'm getting better, although the cough I went to see him about more than a week ago is still there. So he did the usual checking and says this is a new one lah.. the first one almost got better then I caught a new virus or something and he begins loading up the prescription. This time he tripled the amount of medication I have to take. Get this, I'm being prescribed asthma medication, despite not having that condition. Then he gets me a bunch of allergy pills just to round it up.

Problem with doctors nowadays is that they don't really treat the condition, they address the symptoms. Have headache? Have some painkillers. Got cough? Hmm that could be, bacterial, viral, asthma or allergy.. here take them all, tell me if it gets better.

The docs I had growing up used to be able to explain why I'm probably having headaches, our conversation would last more than the requisite 5 min check that they now perform. How can you diagnose anything in under 10 minutes? I remember sitting down and talking for 30 minutes with some of my old doctors - they ask everything, what we are eating, excersise, work, any injuries et cetera. For example, when I had neck pains and back pains, the doctor said my pains were a result of the viral infection on my throat. Did he ask if I did any heavy lifting recently? No. Did he ask if I had an accident that may have caused the problem? No. So I volunteered the info, but did he take it into account? No. Something wrong there la. He just wanted me out so he can give me my required pain killers and see the next guy in line.

While exchanging horror medical stories with another friend. She mentioned her experience with a couple of doctors who went overboard with the examinations. Getting rather touchy and stuff. When she told the bugger off, he just brushed it aside and cut the visit short.

What are they teaching in med schools nowadays? Or is it like everything else in our life and even the medical profession has become something about money only.

1 comment:

Ashkarya said...

EVERYTHING is about money these days. And time is a precious commodity. I agree though, it is hard to find a "family" doc nowadays.